蔡 蕊
How to understand "phenology also helps to drive home messages about climate change" Thank you for your help
Nov 18, 2016 10:12 AM
2
0
"drive home" means to emphasise, make the meaning clearer "phenology" is a technical term which most native speakers would need to check the dictionary in order to understand
Indeed, Michael is right. I am a native speaker and I needed to check a dictionary--and I have a degree in zoology! I was actually surprised to find it in an ordinary dictionary. ahdictionary.com gives these definitions. 1. The scientific study of periodic biological phenomena, such as flowering, breeding, and migration, in relation to climatic conditions. 2. The timing of a periodic biological phenomenon in relation to climatic conditions. Get in the habit of using a dictionary... and often Wikipedia is better than a dictionary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenology
蔡 蕊