Bernard Cosner
별로 or 그다지 사과는 그다지 비싸지 않다 사과는 별로 비싸지 않다 나는 그다지 잘 지내지는 못했어요 나는 별로 잘 지내지는 못했어요 How does them differ ? Whay kind of nuance each of them give ? Thank you !
Nov 18, 2016 11:59 AM
2
0
별로 has the nuance of 특별하게(especially, in particular, particularly) 그다지 has the nuance of 그렇게 많이(so many, so much) Quoted from https://www.facebook.com/My-Korean-Learning-Journal-1616101805380004/?fref=nf 별로 and 그다지 are both commonly used and it's true that both words 'nearly' have the same meaning WHEN used similarly. 별로 VERSUS 그다지 -별로 can be used in wider contexts, with slightly different meanings. -그다지 strictly "not to such a great extent", "not so much", "not all that much", and so on. -별로 can mean the same thing, but is also used in cases where 그다지 is not appropriate. This is especially true if you include 별, which is an adjective corresponding to the adverb 별로. Still confused? Probably...but I think, it will be much clearer if we use them in sentences. For example. 1. 나는 고기는 별로 안 좋아해. I don't really like meats. You can also say, 나는 고기는 그다지 안 좋아해. I don't like meats so much. 2. 극장에 사람이 별로 없었다 Very few people in the theater. You can also say, 극장에 사람이 그다지 없었다. There's not much people in the theater 3. 그 집 음식맛은 별로야. Food at home is not really good. 별로 (안 좋아) * no 그다지 equivalent (Koreans rarely say 그다지야) #1 and #2 examples are interchangeable. 별로야 in #3 is a common extended usage of 별로 meaning "It's so-so". 그다지 is rarely if ever used like this. 4. 별 문제 없이 일을 끝냈다 I finished my work without any notable problem. 5. 별일 없니? (Is everything Ok? - a greeting) * no 그다지 equivalent. #1 and #2 examples are interchangeable. 별로야 in #3 is a common extended usage of 별로 meaning "It's so-so". 그다지 is rarely if ever used like this. 별 in #4 is like an adjective form of 별로, with no equivalent of 그다지. It is widely used, and combines with other words to form new nouns, like 별일 (something unusual, special, notable, etc) and same goes for #5, 별말 (notable mention, special remark), etc.
Bernard Cosner
Korean