Lotus
What does "on merit" mean? The context: when filling out the form that specifies the award I received for the past academic years, there is one question concerning the basis of award(choices include by competition, by nomination, by election, by participation, on merit,etc). What exactly does "on merit" mean? What kind of qualification is this? Does it refer to the experience or the name of the applicant? Thanks for answering!!
5
0
It means that you had to do something to earn the qualification. For example.......... the rules for a particular qualification may say that you have to score at least 80% to gain the qualification. So if you scored 82% and won the award, then you merited (deserved) the award because you achieved something to get it.
I think this means quality of work done or character that deserves praise. An award granted that is outside of exact academic definition. I am unsure if I am being clear or vague right now.
Lotus
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Spanish
English, Japanese, Spanish