Check out our updated Community
Kim
lose oneself / be lost I'm trying translating a sermon in Korean to English. But it's a really hard work. I'm wondering if what I wrote is natural. If you are good at both Korean and English, please take time to read it.^^ The thing is, those how follow Jesus must deny themselves in the world. In this context, they must lose themselves / be lost in the world. Did I write it correctly? 그러니까 세상에 대해서는 네가 없어야 돼. 주님조차도 자신이 이 세상에 없었어. 자신이 없었다니까. 자신을 잃어버렸어. 주만 있어. 1)So, you must be lost to the world. Even the Lord Jesus was lost in this world. He himself was lost. He was lost. God was. 2)So about the world, you should not be. Even the Lord Jesus himself was not in this world. He did not have himself. He lost himself. Just God. About the second one, Google translation helped me. Which do you think is better? Can you understand what I mean? If not, please make new sentences/expressions for me!!
Nov 20, 2016 7:28 AM
This is spiritual language and I am sure that it is particularly difficult to translate. "denying yourself" is a common expression. "losing yourself in the world" doesn't sound like a positive thing for a Christian. You may want to look up the idea of "dying to self", which may be what you mean, and is a traditional Christian expression.
Ohhhh! Thank you very much!!! I'm really happy to meet you who understand what I meant!! You mean the concept of losing oneself does exist in the Bible, right? But in terms of 'text' Jesus just said 'losing one's life,' not 'losing oneself.' So I'm wondering if I could say "Jesus himself lost his self," or "Jesus lost himself."
There is the Biblical concept of losing oneself. The Lord Jesus said, "Whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it." Mark 8:35 In other words, the people who want to do their own thing, be their own god, seek their will; Jesus labels them as "saving their lives." The people who want to serve the Lord Jesus and set aside their own desires that are in conflict with God's will are in essence, sacrificing their lives for God; thus, losing theirselves. These people are the ones who will save their lives because on Judgment Day, when God shall repay every man for the things done in his body, whether they be good or bad, that person shall receive eternal life (based upon the sacrifice of Christ, not the man's good works.)
Kim