Check out our updated Community
Alexis
What grammatical time should I use? hello everybody, I study english seriously since two weeks and I want to know which are the common grammatical times in usa and uk. I've read that the english of uk is most common to use times perfect than in usa. that is true? If I want to use present perfect in usa for example, this will be a mistake? thanks a lot and I'm sorry for my grammaticals mistakes
Nov 20, 2016 9:53 AM
Ignore what you've read about U.S./British differences in tense usage. It's not as clear as they say. You don't need to change your English to speak to U.S. speakers. Here in the U.S. we understand both effortlessly and we use both. We use the present perfect often. We hear it and read it all the time. We are just a little more likely to _say_ "I told him" than "I've told him," or "I went to the store" instead of "I've gone to the store." A few examples of U.S. use of the present perfect I just found. (A few examples of U.S. use of the present perfect I've just found.) “I have told her to take some time to relax and rest,” said Steve Duprey, an Ayotte backer and member of the Republican National Committee. "I have told Ryan that I can't sleep or eat because he's always on my mind." Christie this week said he has “every intention of serving out my full term as governor. “I’ve said that from the beginning,” Christie said. Here's an interesting example in which the Governor of Massachusetts uses both in the same sentence. I don't think there's any difference in meaning at all, he just happened to say it both ways: “I said that the president has made clear he wants to unify the country post-election, and I’ve said that based on Bannon’s previous remarks and activities that was a concern to me,”
Alexis, You don't need to worry about US/UK English differences yet. You'll meet them from time to time in everyday vocabulary, and if you intend to be an advanced speaker, you should learn the minor grammar differences at B2/C1 level. I recommend you find a textbook you like and follow it well. If you don't have one, you could look for "Straightforward".
I completely agree with Michael Chambers. As far as I know it’s true that speakers of American English generally use the present perfect tense less than speakers of British English, but I’m myself not even quite sure of these differences and I’m an advanced learner. I think you’re making things too difficult for yourself by spending time on this. It’s much more important to know, for instance, that “I study english seriously since two weeks” is incorrect in both US and UK English. It would have been correct to write “I’ve been studying English seriously for two weeks.”
Alexis
English, German, Russian, Spanish
English, German, Russian