Roger
Grammar Question Hi! Could anyone tell me what's the difference between these sentences? Here they are: I insisted that he apologize. I insisted that he apologized. Thanks!
(I'm going to use a name instead of pronouns for a reason) "I insisted that John apologize" - means that I kept telling John that he had to apologize until John finally said "I'm sorry." "I insisted that John apologized." - means that I kept telling someone else that John had said "I'm sorry." That person didn't believe me, so I had to keep saying it over and over again.
The second one (I insisted that he apologized) is completely wrong... because after " insisted that" we must use the base form of the verb. Please see the link below for more information. https://englishhelponline.me/2011/06/28/grammatical-word-insist/
The British in this case would prefer "SHOULD": I insisted that he SHOULD apologize.
Roger
Catalan, English, Spanish