Hazem
Oysterhood,puckfist,battologize,zoilist I was reading an article about words in the english language,and was shocked because i hadnt heard about these words before,are these words common to native american,the words above are some of them
Nov 21, 2016 12:05 AM
I have never heard of any of them. My knowledge of English vocabulary is pretty good. Frankly, I question whether they "are real words," although I see that oxforddictionaries.com does include "oysterhood" and "puckfist," but not "battologize" or "zoilist." Merriam-Webster's Third recognizes "puckfist" but not the others. Words like this are almost a joke. Someone may have had a good reason to put them in a dictionary. They are fun as trivia items for people who enjoy knowing obscure things about the English language--words like "crwth" and "syzygy" and "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis." The nature of language is that there is no real stopping point in deciding "what is a word." You can keep finding more and more words that have been used fewer and fewer times. P.S. Do not try to use the word "puckfist." First, nobody will understand you. Second, it sounds too much like one of the "bad words." That's probably why someone thought it was a funny word and worth including in an article.
I would say that these words are not very common at all. I have never heard of them.
..
Hazem
Arabic, English