Ppman
Please correct the sentence. Thanks Is there any grammatical error in my sentence? How do I rewrite the sentence that makes it sound natural to native speakers. 1 The British English and American English are different. For example, the equivanlet of taking a lift in British English is taking an elevator in American English. 2 Are they correct? Is it idiomatic to say a collection counter and an ordering counter where you can order food and collect food? Thank you so much
Nov 21, 2016 1:29 AM
1 British English and American English are different. For example, the equivalent of taking a lift in British English is taking an elevator in American English. (Ah yes! Also, the boot becomes the trunk, trousers become pants, and biscuits become cookies...) 2 Are they correct? Is it idiomatic to say a collection counter and an ordering counter where you can order food and collect food? (No, this usage is not idiomatic, the counter is just named for its function in these cases)
Is there any grammatical error in my sentence? How do I rewrite the sentence that makes it sound natural to native speakers. The British English and American English are different. For example, the equivanlet of taking a lift in British English is taking an elevator in American English. Thanks
Yes. Lift is British (but we know what it means too. I'm not saying other people in California would understand it too, however.). We say elevator. As far as "collection counter" and "ordering counter" are concerned, they are not words. No one would use either. Just say "counter" , usually with the "the" and you'll be fine. "I gotta go to the counter and get my food (or order)" is how we say it in the US.
Ppman