thaisalem225
What does the writer mean in this paragraph? i have a book how to talk to other people. The book has a paragraph: "Start putting yourself first, both figuratively and literary, and begin to think aloud in front of other people the same way you do with company you are already comfortable with.[..] On one hand, it is a good idea for you to think before you speak so that you do not say something foolish, as you are talking to other people with a purpose. At the same time, it is much more important that you be quick and not wait too long to respond during the conversation, giving the impression that you are trying to figure out something good to say instead of being genuine and honest" What does "you are talking to other people with a purpose" mean? and what does "At the same time...genuine and honest" mean? Does it mean " it is much more important that... conversation, because if you don't do that, it will give the impression that you are trying to figure out something good to say instead of being genuine and hones", right?
Nov 21, 2016 3:35 AM
"At the same time...genuine and honest" This part means that if you respond quickly, the other person will believe you are responding more honestly, because you don't need time to invent a pleasing response. "you are talking to other people with a purpose" This meaning is less clear. My interpretation of this sentence is: There's a reason or a purpose you are talking to this person. If you say something foolish, you may fail to accomplish this purpose. For example, if you are trying to sell your car, but you foolishly tell someone the car is likely to break soon, you will probably not succeed in selling the car.
One thing I've noticed is people come on this forum and often ask good questions about obscure passages like this one. And they worry unnecessarily about understanding those passages. First, no native speaker talks like this. Second, most native speakers wouldn't have a clue what this author is talking about. The passage is obviously out of context so it's hard to understand what the author is driving at. I don't agree with the part about not delaying an answer so as not to appear disingenuous. That's nonsense in my opinion. I think all this shows is being thoughtful in answering questions and nothing more. What does "talking to other people with a purpose" mean? To be honest with you, I haven't a clue. And I'm a 58 year-year old native English speaking attorney. I don't know who wrote this, but I consider it pure jibberish and nothing more. Meaningless drivel. Just because someone - even a native speaker- manages to get something published doesn't mean they can articulate their ideas clearly. This author obviously cannot. My advice would be to pass over the "with a purpose" part and ignore it. Everyone speaks "with a purpose", that being to communicate. How does one speak "without a purpose?" See, how the meaning is just as obscure? Who wrote this? And how does one not think before speaking? None of this makes any sense. "Genuine and honest" just means coming off truthfully. Okay. So what? I'd frankly forget trying to figure out what this muddle-headed author meant with this meaningless palaver and move on to reading something that has real merit. Sorry, but I doubt anyone can really answer your question.
thaisalem225
English, Korean, Vietnamese
Korean