Derek Bristow
Reply and reply to? Which one is to be used? Hi, all, Recently, I have some friends from abroad writing sentences like below: I know how to reply to emails in English To my knowledge, "reply" could be a transitive and intransitive verb, I'd say "I know how to reply emails in English.", is this ok? If not, why? If yes, what are the differences. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks in advance!
Nov 21, 2016 8:14 AM
I'm not sure how I can answer this question technically, as I am a native speaker and have trouble actually explaining the specifics on why things are and are not in the language. However, saying "They did not reply our new proposal" is not OK (or at least to my knowledge, I have never heard any native speaker use it in this way). The reason being, you must state what you are replying TO. Without the "to", it sounds like there should be a comma and that you are starting a different subject. Hope that helps.
Derek Bristow
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish