Pineapple
I found my calling in Paris Does in the following dialogue the chess player mean "I loved Paris, but I wasted several years trying to beat a lot of competitors in Paris. Here, I can have my own job"? Dialogue: Friend: well... I've found your father to be quite a generous man... Chess player: I won't take his charity. I found my calling in Paris, though I wasted too many years there trying to best a greater man. Here, I can make my own way.
Nov 22, 2016 11:48 AM
The phrase "I found my calling," means that the speaker has found the thing that he feels he was destined to do in life. The rest of it means, yes, that he spent too much time competing with others in Paris and that wherever he is now (the new place) has less competition for him.
A few centuries ago the word "calling" had a religious meaning. It meant that you felt that there had been a "call" from God to dedicate your life to something. It is still normally used that way in connection with religious careers. People will say "He had the calling and he became a priest" or "I was called to become a minister of the Gospel." Nowadays it is used in a much broader way. It is used in non-religious way. It means "a strong attraction to some career" or "a feeling that a certain career is your purpose in life." Thus someone might say "My father wanted me to be a lawyer, and I went to law school, but I found it wasn't my calling and now I work in environment education." In your passage, it sounds as if the chess player found that playing chess was his "calling" and he felt compelled to dedicate his life to playing chess, even though it is hard to earn a living that way.
Pineapple
English, German, Persian (Farsi)
English, German