Min
Is this sentence correct? I read a sentence from a newspaper that I don't feel conventional "All this despite the fact that ethnic minoities are poorer than average. " Where is the verb here? I don't think "despite" can be functioned as a verb.
This does appear to be an incomplete sentence, but it is a very common sentence pattern in news reporting. It gives the impression of being a subordinate clause sitting alone in the absence of its main clause. Of course, it must refer to the preceding sentence. The verb is 'understood' or supplied by the reader's imagination. You could insert the phrase "is so" after "All this" and you would have a complete sentence.
Hello. My name is Giovanni Fiorentini. I am an English tutor here on italki. To answer your question the answer is yes, it is a complete sentence. The word "despite" is not a verb it is a preposition. The word "are" in many cases can be used as a verb as it is here. In this case the word "are" is used as the present plural of the the verb to be. However, this sentence to me seems like a dependant clause which means that it does not express a complete thought. I hope this helps you. Have a great day. Giovanni Fiorentini
are= verb
Min
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English