Amy Tian
That or It? I like coca cola a lot. Can I have ___ in the morning? A. that B. it C. this D. them I would choose A, but can I also use B. If B is wrong, may you explain why? Thanks alot!
"It" is correct in this case because "it" is specifically referring to the drink. "That" will not work unless it is assumed that you see the soda near you and asking if you can drink it. Also, another reason "That" can not be used because it can imply that you do not know the name of the soda. "It" already suggests you are talking about the soda you want to drink. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any further questions!
I would choose "it" since "that" refers to some specific object that perhaps can be seen or has been identified. If someone was holding a bottle of Coca Cola in their hand, you could ask them "Could I have that in the morning?" If you wanted to share it, you would say "Could I have some (of that) in the morning?"
Thank you so much for all answers! Above sentence is from a book. And "that" is the right answer. Per the following answers, it seems "it" is a better one.
Hello Amy! How have you been? I would opt for "it" since it is the object for the subject (Coca-Cola) Thus, "it" substitutes Coca-Cola in order to avoid repetition. Got it? Cheers!
Amy Tian
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Japanese
English, German, Japanese