"Research" with "a" article Hello! Could you please tell me if I can say "a research". I mean "research" is a noun here, for example in a sentence: I'm keen to do a research into medicine. What article should I use here? (it's not about cases when "research" is used as an adj, like "a research paper" and so on).
Nov 24, 2016 10:21 PM
Answers · 5
In English, "research" is uncountable, so there should be no article unless it is definite (here it is not). If we want a countable noun, we can use "a research project, " "a research study," "a piece of research," etc.
November 24, 2016
No, research as a noun can't be used with the article "a". Just say "the" research.
November 24, 2016
If you are meaning to say that you are doing research, then you say "the research" or you might just say research, depending on the context. If someone asks you what you're doing, you can say "I'm doing research for the project" but if someone asks you what specific task you're doing for the project, you can say "I'm doing the research portion".
November 24, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, Russian
Learning Language