Pedro Acácio
The kanji to study 学 I've just started to study kanji,and 学 has apparently 3 readings according to my source (まなぶ)、(がく) (がっ),but it also says the the kanji means the word "study",so,can I also read it as the verb べんきょう? Thank you.
Nov 25, 2016 8:47 PM
Answers · 7
yes, the kanji has the meaning you mentioned: 'manabu' means 'study'. the word 'manabu' is noun and verb. 日本語を学ぶ (I study Japanese) manabu is used as verb. 学ぶことは楽しい (studies are fun) the word, 学ぶ, cannot be read as べんきょう. べんきょう is a noun. にほんごをべんきょうする (I study Japanese)
November 25, 2016
Basically, まなぶ means "aprender" and べんきょうする means "estudiar" but in my opinion, there are differences between in the Western languages and in Japanese. We use べんきょうする for "aprender língua(s)" and "estudiar língua(s)" in general. Besides, we sometimes use other translation for "aprender" like "memorizar", for example, I would say "aprender 10 kanji" as "memorizar 10 kanji" when I say it in Japanese. We have to try to use the most appropriate one depending on the situations to make it more natural, however, all are understandable. I hope this was helpful. Muita sorte to your Japanese.
November 26, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Pedro Acácio
Language Skills
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
Learning Language
English, French, Japanese