youkoufiona
couch GoPro couched the layoff and executive announcements in a release touting a 33% year-over-year increase in camera unit sales on its website between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, suggesting a promising start to holiday sales. What does "couch" mean? Thanks.
'Couch' in this example means they expressed bad news in diplomatic terms so as to make it seem not so bad. This is probably the most common use of the verb. I see it a lot in business, government and legal writing. To sum up, couch as a verb means to say things in a certain way. That's the best that I can describe it.
It means to say something or to express something. Not very commonly used, though.
Usually you hear "couch" used as a verb when someone is trying to say something in a specific manner ex: "the comments were couched in strong terms". So in this case, GoPro was trying to offset the bad news of the layoffs by putting it in a report that focused more on increase in sales.
I agree with Sattik, not a common use of the verb.
youkoufiona