Ppman
Which is correct? Thanks 1 You are late. You almost missed / miss the bus. 2 Let’s go to his home. Let’s go to his house. My book says that "go to his home" is not correct, but a native speaker says it is correct. Thanks
Dec 6, 2016 7:10 AM
1.It should be 'You almost missed the bus'. You need the past tense here. 2. 'Let's go to his home' is perfectly correct. A home is where someone lives. So if you go to where that person lives, you are going to his home. Yes, 'home' is a concept rather than a physical object, but that doesn't mean that you can't go there - we use 'home' in contrast to 'work' or 'school', for example. A house is a specific type of construction - a self-contained residential building, usually occupied by one family/set of residents. If the person doesn't live in a building that can be described as 'a house', it isn't strictly correct to say 'go to his house'. He may live in a flat/apartment, (or a caravan, tent or igloo!) . In these cases, 'home' is more accurate than house. I'm not sure what point this book of yours is trying to make, but it isn't being very helpful.
December 6, 2016
IMHO: Home is a concept, an emotive term. House is a place, a destination, a place you can go to. I doubt that "go to his home" is grammatically incorrect, but not really so common a thing to say. If you have to choose, choose house. Example: "I'm going home" is a common thing to say.
December 6, 2016
Ppman