Carol
Is there gender differences in English intonation? These days I'm listening to a podcast which is hosted by a British man. Then, I think my intonation is going to resemble with his one. Will it be awkward to speak in English like him as a woman?
Dec 7, 2016 2:56 PM
I don't know, but I find it likely there are some rather subtle gender-based differences in intonation. But I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. Being a woman your natural voice is softer and more high-pitched than a man’s voice. Because you have a female voice you will never be able to exactly imitate the way he speaks. Even if you had a male voice you wouldn’t be able to imitate him exactly. Your own personality and your mother tongue will inevitably influence how you speak.
December 7, 2016
Listen to many. :) There are a great number of English accents & tone patterns. Generally English speakers are quite tolerant of such things.
December 7, 2016
Carol