Min
How to use the phrase "'rather than" I'd like to know which sentence is correct? and what are the exact rules of forming the verb right after "rather than"? ? 1. Thanks to more sports facilities, we could make exercise a part of our lives rather than stare at TV screen every day. 2. Thanks to more sports facilities, we could make exercise a part of our lives rather than staring at TV screen every day. thank you.
Dec 8, 2016 5:33 AM
I'm not an expert, but to me the verbs on either side of the 'rather than' should be the same. So - either we could make exercise a part of our lives rather than stare at the TV screen every day - or we could be making exercise a part of our lives rather than staring at the TV screen every day. Note that your example is missing an article before 'TV': it should be 'the TV', or possibly 'a TV'.
December 8, 2016
Min
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English