Xuzhao
letter "H" problems Hey guys, The letter H is always silent in French, But what if I say: Je vais aller à Hong Kong, and Je vais aller à Hangzhou. Should I pronounce letter "H" ? Thx
Dec 11, 2016 11:56 AM
I don't speak French, however, I notice my French friends will always drop the H-sound! So they would say Ong Kong! Or Ang Zhou!
December 11, 2016
Yes, it's true that our H is not very aspirated, I totally agree with You Jun examples. There are muted H and aspirated H, both sound like they are muted, still the aspirated H is slightly aspirated anyway. But the difference is generally made in the usage of 'liaisons' instead (linkings). With aspirated we will have le la, with muted h, it will become l' : le héros (aspiré) / l'héroïne (muet) With un, une there is liaison with the n, but with aspirated h, there is a pause or a long sound for une_ : un habit (un-na-bi) / un haricot (un-a-ri-co) / une habitude (u-na-bi-tude) / une hauteur (u-neu-o-teur) So I guess our pronounciation of H in chinese words may appear very flat to chinese ears, but we have nice R and U for you to enjoy :-)
December 11, 2016
Xuzhao
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, French
French