Ivy
A lot of people told me that speaking American English must use your stomach.Is it true?
3
0
First I wanted to write that, speaking American English, you MUST NEVER use your tongue. No, that would be too bad... I think Americans are less attentive (/accurate /thorough) to their pronunciation (/articulation /speaking) than the British, whatever dialect they (the British) speak. It might help to close your nostrils (/nose) with your fingers when speaking. At least when you're alone. And work with your lower jaw. Move it more than necessary (/required /essential). If we ever meet do me a favor and don't use the nose-and-jaw-trick. I would understand you much better. D., who always needs a few minutes to 'tune in' when speaking english.
I think that is a little bit strange. When speaking we use our lungs and diaphrams for volume but not our stomach. Maybe they were teasing you because of the belief that the majority of Americans are overweight? I teach English, both American English and British English and have never come across this in my life.
To be frank, I have never heard of this before. And I have thought that speaking is closely related with the tongue, inner muscles of the mouth and the nostril, while the air flow shall come from the lung. But maybe it is kind of singing songs? I am not sure about it.
Ivy
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Spanish
English, French, Spanish