Chang
Help me.. I don't understand what he saying Hi everyone! During my technical writing study, I can't understand this explanation. 'Brevity' : Less Is More - Pare your language down to the essential message you want to get across to your readers. Ex: Earthquakes can occur at predictable intervals along a given fault segment. Depending on the length and slip in each mainshock, the exact interval can vary by a factor of two. The southern segment of the San Andreas fault has an interval of 145 years, plus or minus a few decades. what's this meaning?
Well, it just means you have to use a few, simple and straight-forward words to make a person understand what you are trying to say. Ex: The time period between earthquakes occurring along a fault can be predicted using the length and slip in each mainshock. The exact interval can vary by a factor of two. The southern segment of the San Andreas fault has an interval of 145 years, plus or minus a few decades. *I just changed the example slightly*
The advice is to write only the important points, and to get straight to the heart of what you want to say. I hope that helps!
..