cherry
Could you help me with the two questions? 1.What is the difference between go out to dinner and go out for dinner? 2. The Amazon's bigger than the Nile. Is this sentence correct? In this sentence , if The Amazon's = The Amazon is . Thank you in advance!
1) There is no difference between "go out to dinner" and "go out for dinner." It's all a matter of personal preference. 2) As David explained, while it's correct to say "the Amazon's bigger," English speakers usually do not use contractions with proper nouns. You're more likely to see "the Amazon is bigger."
I'm not native english. But, i'll try to answer those questions: No1 . I think the correct setence is Go out for dinner. "For" in this case to show your reason to go out. and you can use "To" to express destination. No.2 : Both are the same! Thanks.
Hi there, Yes both of those are possible. I prefer 'go out for dinner'. For me, 'go out to dinner' seems just a little more formal, but they are both fine. For the second one, it is possible to say 'Amazon's', but I would say that we don't really use this with proper nouns too much in written English. This is because it looks too much like a possessive: 'The Amazon's amazing wildlife.' 'The Amazon's many tribes'. I would definitely prefer 'The Amazon IS bigger than the Nile'. In spoken English, however, this construction is a lot more common and I use it all the time.
Thank you so much , Steve. I can understand very well through by reading your answer.
I agree with the other answers. Just wanted to add that if you're curious why there are two phrases for eating dinner out, I think it's because one is treating "dinner" as a noun and the other as an event. "Going out to dinner" is treating the dinner as an event. You go out "to" an event. Another way of thinking about it that way is "going out to dine", but there the event is being characterized as an act or process. "Going out for dinner" is treating the dinner as basically a plateful (or several) of food. "I'm going out for my dinner" "I'm going out to have my dinner" "I'm going out to eat my dinner" all feel like equivalent ways of saying "I'm going out for dinner".