Lawrence
Community Tutor
How to answer a question in daily conversation? In English learning, we always are involved such situations, we don't know how to spell a new word or how to pronounce a new phrase. Then how to ask a right question in such situation? Which one is more natural? 1). How do you spell this word? 2). How should I spell this word? 3). How to spell this word? 4). Would you like to tell me how to spell this word? ...
"I'm sorry, could you spell it for me?" seems natural. I usually make an approximate sound of the word I don't understand, so it's more like "[sound]? Could you spell [sound] for me?"
Hi Lawrence, I cannot speak for all English-speaking countries, but here in the United States, there are a few ways to ask this casually: "How do you spell (word)?" "How is this/that word spelled?" "How's it spelled?" Hopefully, this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
1) is probably the best out of your selection. But if you were in a conversation, you can use: A) "...", how's that spelt? B) "...", how's it spelt? C) "...", how do you spell that?