Ismael
GERMAN: Sentence structure Which of these two structures would you consider to be correct? Ich habe angefangen zu reisen Or: Ich habe zu reisen angefangen Moreover, I was told that the auxiliary must always be put at the end of a sentence, but while talking to a German friend of mine, they said the following: "..und mich währenddessen immer hab ablenken lassen" Was that correct in terms of structure or should the auxiliary (hab) have been put at the end of the sentence?
5
0
Based on my understanding, the sentence should be written as either: 1) Ich habe angefangen, zu reisen. [The infinitive phrase is placed at the end, separated from the main sentence by a comma.] 2) Ich habe zum Reisen angefangen. [The infinitive phrase is replaced by a noun phrase "zum + Infinitiv", and it is placed before the ending verb term (past participle).] "..und mich währenddessen immer hab ablenken lassen" "hab" is the imperative Du-form of "haben", and thus I do not understand why it is put in an indicative sentence. In general, however, the German structure is as follows: 1) in a main clause, the conjugated verb is always placed at the 2nd position; 2) in a subordinate clause, the conjugated verb is always placed at the end position. === Ich wünsche Dir einen schönen Tag./I wish you a good day.
Both are fine, in both cases. :)
Ismael
Arabic (Maghrebi), Dutch, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
Dutch