neofight78
Russian for: Make a difference / Add value What would be the equivalent Russian for these two phrases? Make a difference Add value
10
0
Not literally, just suggestions: "make a difference" - "изменить ситуацию", "add value" - "внести вклад/повысить эффективность/улучшить результат".
to make a difference – внести существенный вклад (make a significant contribution) ; иметь значение (to matter; to be significant/of importance); изменить smth к лучшему; to make a difference between — проводить различие между... to add value – принести пользу; повысить эффективность; I saw the phrase on the site "context.reverso.net" where both expressions were used: "The Council needs to focus on where, within the political realities, it can make a difference and add value". In this case, two similar expressions were translated by one Russian equivalent: "значительно изменить ситуацию к лучшему".
Actually it's hard to explain these terms... For example in a large company it's harder to make a difference because for work is just a small part of everything and large companies are resistant to change etc. In a smaller company you can make a difference because your work can have a bigger impact and you're freer to try new things. "Add value" means to create something of value, do something that is useful. Again it's usually over and above what is usual.
neofight78, frustrating is at least clearly understandable for me, as a Russian. Make a difference is idiomatic (so I'm not sure what it means) and also can be further elaborated: - "His score on this test will make the difference between passing and failing"(dictionary) Here I can only think of "his passing depends on" or "his score determines" - "These curtains sure make a difference in the lighting." I can only think of "change lighting" But why 'make a/the difference' and not "depend" and "change"? Does "make a difference' makes a difference? - "if you’re really determined to find that next big idea and time it right to make a difference, it typically takes 20 years from discovery to takeoff" (form a Russian forum) Have no idea what it may mean:)))) As I understand, implication is that this idea will be of some use for someone? Russian 'изменить ситуацию' is 'change the situation'. Far less idiomatic. The emphasis is on 'situation', that is, it is implied that there is some 'situation' to change.
@Ksenia Спасибо :)
neofight78
Russian