Elena
Complex object or Compound sentence Hello, everyone!) Could you help me with the sentences below? Imagine a situation, my children were playing in the sandbox and I watched them. I can say: 1) I watched my children playing in the sandbox. (Complex object) 2) I watched my children, they were playing in the sandbox. (Compound sentence) 3) I watched how my children were playing in the sandbox. (Compound sentence) Do sentences number 1, 2 and 3 have the same meaning and sound natural or they don't? Thank you in advance!)
2017年10月21日 17:20
2
1
Sentences 1 and 2 have the same meaning, but sentence 2 does not have a conjunction so it really is not a compound sentence. It is two simple sentences that should be separated by a period or semicolon rather than by a comma. Sentences 3 has a slightly different sense because the word “how” suggests that you were paying particular attention the manner in which they were playing. For example: I watched how my children were playing in the sandbox (because I was worried that my older child might be too rough with my younger child).
2017年10月21日
Elena
English, Ukrainian