Pelin
Are these sentences OK? He is better than yesterday. (he's ill) This is 5th time I've called. Your English is better than me. It sets a bad example to everyone My cooking is worse than my mother's cooking. We don't have the least chance of winning this game.
3
1
He is better than yesterday. (he's ill) - you could also say "He is doing better than yesterday" or "He is feeling better than yesterday" This is *the* fifth time I've called. Your English is better than *mine*. It sets a bad example *for* everyone My cooking is worse than my mother's. (saying cooking again could be redundant, but your original was fine). We don't have the least chance of winning this game. -There are a few ways this could be re-phrased to sound more natural: "We don't have a chance in hell of winning this game" (somewhat vulgar, but probably most common) "We don't stand a chance of winning this game" (your best bet if unsure of the company) "We don't have a chance of winning this game" (a bit awkward, but still correct)
He is better than yesterday. (he's ill) *good* This is 5th time I've called. *good* Your English is better than me. almost -- Your English is better than *mine*. It sets a bad example to everyone almost -- It sets a bad example *for* everyone My cooking is worse than my mother's cooking. *good* We don't have the least chance of winning this game. *good but sounds strange. We don't have *a chance in hell* of winning this game*. Careful as *hell* is a bit of a swear word ;-)
He is much better than yesterday. ( Usually what would be used, but your sentence was fine) This is the 5th time I've called. Your English is better than mine. It sets a bad example for everyone My cooking is worse than my mother's cooking. We don't have the least chance of winning this game. ( Grammatically correct, just a little awkward sounding)
Pelin
English, Turkish