emar
I´d rather you stayed + than go / instead of going ,could these patteren work? Hi I know I´d rather + infinitive + than + infinitive My question is if this pattern works as well when I use I´d rather + subject + past I´d rather you stayed than go I´d rather you stayed instead of going I think they are not right,but if they do not work: how should the second part go? I´d rather you stayed than....??? thank you very much
9
0
you might want to add the word "want" so that your sentence gives a COMPLETE THOUGHT. Although it is understandable, it's still Grammatically incorrect.
The answers you got about past and present tense were correct. Just a usage note...we wouldn't usually say the second part of the sentence if it's just the opposite of the first part. In America we would say... I'd rather you stay. The second part is implied. Another example... I'd rather be home right now. I don't need to say ...than here. If I were home, I wouldn't be here. We usually use rather...than to give an opinion between two choices that aren't exclusive choices... I'd rather play chess than checkers. I'd rather see a movie than go to the park. I'd rather eat sushi than tacos. I'd rather swim than sunbathe. It's also used with indefinite pronouns to express strong emotions or favorites. I'd rather be here than anywhere. I'd rather talk to you than anyone else. I'd rather drive a sports car than anything. I'd rather ___ than any___ (+else) The word else is optional but is often used.
What do you mean by the way? Your sentence is a little bit confusing. But if you meant you don't want that person to go, you can say: "I'd rather want you to stay than go"
"I´d rather you stayed than go." You're mixing past and present here. If you are talking to the person NOW, then, "I'd rather you stay than go." If you are talking about the past, "I'd rather you stayed than left." You can also use "went" in place of "left." "I´d rather you stayed instead of going ." Again, mixing past and present. Stick with one tense and you'll be fine. :-)
emar