Wu Ting
How would you interpret the last sentence? How would you interpret the last sentence ‘so that a pregnant woman, a child, a sweetheart of a beggar is always beautiful’? Does it mean if one has his sense of beauty and yearning for the perfect in his soul, he would always think of a pregnant woman, a child, a sweetheart of a beggar as being beautiful? Or does it mean if one has one’s sense of beauty and yearning for the perfect in one’s soul, he/she is always beautiful, be he/she a pregnant woman, a child, a sweetheart of a beggar? Thanks. And it’s from My Little Boy written by the famous Danish writer Carl Ewald. the context: “You know,” I say, “from the time when I was a boy I have thought of the pregnant woman as being beautiful. It has to be that way if one is going to be happy: There has to be a place in one’s soul where one’s sense of beauty, one’s yearning for the perfect form is at rest—so that a pregnant woman, a child, a sweetheart of a beggar is always beautiful.”
2
0
Thank you, McCabe.
I would say your first guess is correct because he talks about ones sense of yearning which infers something external.
Wu Ting