Kseniia
God forbid. The wind might change (c) One more question about "Easy Virtue" movie lines, if I may. There is a following conversation taking place: Mrs. Whittaker (very disapprovingly): You're smiling, Jim. Mr. Whittaker: God forbid. The wind might change. Could you please tell me what exactly does Mr. Whittaker's phrase mean? Is it an ironical "Of course I didn't" or a scoffing "Oh what a catastrophe"? I tried to google it but I guess it's too obvious to attract anybody's attention so I haven't found anything of use. *If there is a context needed, there is a link to this moment: https://youtu.be/JRJ8vghpmaU?t=2253 (37:45). Sorry, the video quality is extremely low, but that's the only freely available video containing this conversation that I've managed to find on Youtube.
2
0
The phrase "the wind might change" refers to something adults used to say to children: That if you are frowning/scowling/making a bad face and the wind changes direction your face will be stuck in that expression forever! "God forbid" is a way of saying "I really hope this doesn't happen" I don't know the movie and didn't watch the video you linked, but I imagine it is an ironical use of both phrases. I hope that helps
Kseniia
English, Gaelic (Irish), Russian
English, Gaelic (Irish)