Fredrik Zhang
Which Finnish should I learn? I want to learn Finnish. And I read that there are two varieties of Finnish, standard and spoken. Wikipedia says the spoken language is what people use in their daily life, whereas the standard form is used in news and writing. As a learner, which one should I learn first? Or should I learn both? Thank you.
13
0
I might be a little biased because I like formal language but I think it would be a good idea to start with the standard and when you've got the basics down you could start with the spoken language. I guess that's the usual way how people study Finnish. The downside in this is that it will take time to be able to understand people in conversations but I think if you want to learn the language thoroughly it's the best way.
The finnish language is very strictly divided. The colloquial Finnish is used while speaking and the Formal one everywhere else. If you use the Formal Finnish while speaking it will be super weird. I would suggest thinking about what are you learnibg the language for. News and books or communicating
Fredrik Zhang
Afrikaans, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Swiss German
Afrikaans, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian