Anastasia
If I mention a title of a book in a sentence, should I use definite article before book? E.g. "(article) book "Das Kapital" was published in 1867"
5
0
Yes, if you say "book" or "article" etc. If you only use the title than you don't need it. "the book 'Das Kapital' was published in..." or "'Das Kapital' was published in..." either one is okay.
Thank you!
Just to add to Trevor's answer: " 'Das Kapital' was published in..." is the phrase we'd normally choose as native speakers, even though the other option is perfectly correct. I realise you're using a typically Russian phrase structure when you write "the book 'Das Kapital' was published..." ;) The good news is, the verb "published" already implies that Das Kapital is some kind of reading material, so it's easier to let the verb do the work, which leaves you free to economize the sentence. "Das Kapital" was published in 1867.
Anastasia
English, German, Russian
English, German