Wu Ting
How would you interpret ‘enough’ in the last sentence? How would you interpret ‘enough’ in the last sentence ‘It was enough for me…’? Thanks. And it’s from My Little Boy written by the famous Danish writer Carl Ewald. the context: She was there, and I, and some other people, and among them one who said something base about children. I was startled, but in that instant her eyes met mine and I became quiet. It was enough for me that there was one, besides me, who was hurt and angry.
28 de oct de 2017 2:43
4
0
The idea is 'I was satisfied'. I think that perhaps if he had not realised there was someone else that was hurt, he may have said something to the person that offended them. But because he realised they shared the offence, he didn't feel that was necessary.
28 de Octubre de 2017
Possible interpretations: It was sufficient for me that there was one, besides me, . . . Or, I was satisfied that there was at least one other, besides me who . . . .Or (in a more interpretive mode), I felt validated in that there was at least one, besides me, who . . .
28 de Octubre de 2017
Wu Ting