Katherine
Please help me with "wish" :) Which is correct and why? 1) I wish he would turn the tap off 2) I wish he turned the tap off
10
1
I was wrong, Sorry!
The first is perfectly correct. It means that he hasn't turned it off and you want him to. The second could be grammatically correct, but it is not how we would use it. When we use wish with the past simple, it is for something that happens generally/commonly. Therefore, I don't think it fits in this situation as the tap is working now.
#1 is correct. The tap is still on. You want him to turn it off. "I wish he HAD turned the tap off" would mean that now, as you sit in your flooded house, you are wishing that it had happened in the past. But he didn't turn it off.
Talking about present: I wish he + past indefinite Talking about past: I wish he + past perfect Talking about future: I wish he + would + infinitive without "to"
We typically use "I wish [someone] would..." when talking about a person's behaviour. This use of "will/would" carries a sense of volition.
Katherine
English, Russian, Ukrainian