"Autumn " is British English . " Fall " is American English . Is this true ? Which should I use? Which one is used commonly?
Oct 28, 2017 12:43 PM
Answers · 15
Yes, this is true. However the British remember whether our clocks go forward or backwards by one hour at the end of March and end of November by saying "Spring forward and Fall back"
October 28, 2017
Yes and no. Language is never quite that simple, and the US/GB distinction is never as straightforward as people think. American English uses both words, but most commonly 'fall'. AE speakers say 'fall' for everyday use, and 'autumn' to sound romantic or poetic. It's typical, I believe, for American English speakers to talk about the beautiful 'autumn colours' that you can see around this time of year. So, even though 'fall' is the word which AE speakers use most of the time, this does not make 'autumn' a specifically British word. For Americans, it's just a less common alternative. In British English, we always say 'autumn'. Nobody says 'fall' in Britain. The only exception is the little mnemonic which Norman mentions above, and British children who haven't picked up 'fall' from American TV might need to have 'fall backward' explained to them. That said, most people are aware that 'fall' is used in American English.
October 28, 2017
Autumn is more used by British people, and fall is more used by American people; however, you will hear both American and British people use them. Hope that helps.
October 28, 2017
Show More
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Korean
Learning Language
Dutch, English, German, Korean