Anwar
Community Tutor
17. Translation Help 차라리 재준이가 완벽하게 사라졌다는 사실을 내가 받아들여야 하는 게 아닐까. I'm currently reading a short novel and I have noticed the above ending is quite common for the 1st person perspective (which is the person who is saying or thinking the sentence above. These endings "....아닐까" or "...아닌가" or "..던가" are very much thrown in the novel and couldn't really grasp what it means. It as if this person is question him/herself again which I find very confusing in certain scenario.
"차라리 재준이가 완벽하게 사라졌다는 사실을 내가 받아들여야 하는 게 아닐까." => Isn't it like I should now accept the fact that Jaejun has disappeared beyond any doubt. Ending forms like 아닐까, 아닌가, -던가 are bound to appear a lot in this kind of first person narratives, as they represent questions directed to oneself. If you're contemplating suicide as the protagonist of the story does, it's only natural to ask all these agonizing questions of what-ifs, whys, and hows. In fictions, it would be even more the case because mixing in questions and other forms makes the story more interesting and natural than constantly repeating monotonous plain forms.
Anwar
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean, Malay
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean