Koji
How to use prepositions I have a questions about sentences in my English textbook. 1) Sentence: Kaoru showed me her notes from the class I missed. Questions:I feel 'in' is more natural instead of 'from'. Is it ok if I use 'in'? 2) Sentence: I can't decide on the production theme. Question: 'on' isn't needed after 'decide' , is it? Please teach me!
1. "From" is the correct preposition here, because these are the notes which she TOOK AWAY FROM the class. The class which you missed is the origin of the notes - in other words, this is where they came from. Using 'in' would mean that she showed you the notes during the class. This would make no sense, as we know that you missed the class. 2. This is easy. "Decide" is an intransitive verb, so it can't usually take a direct object. If there is an object, it needs to be preceded by 'on' or 'about'.
"From" is the correct word because it means the notes are from the missed class. Using "in" would be confusing because it would mean that you were in the class when the notes were shown to you, but the sentence also says you missed the class. "Decide on" means the same as "pick" or "choose." It does not sounds correct without "on" following "decide" in this sentence. Here is another way to say the sentence that also works: "I can't decide which production theme to use."
Koji