Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? How would you interpret the second sentence of the second passage, especially the word ‘sound’? Thanks. And it’s from My Little Boy written by the famous Danish writer Carl Ewald. the context: Between my mother and me there was enmity---instinctive, uncompromising enmity---which both confused and pained me as child. As I gained consciousness I learned to understand both the enmity and her. My mother was originally a bigger person than my father. There was in her a sound rebellion which she had to come to terms with in order to live her life. From her would come glimpses of disgust and hatred of Father, who was less well endowed but stayed true to himself throughout. Daily she imposed revenge on her children; if they obeyed she despised them; if they rebelled she punished them.
"sound" in this context means "unshakable", "unbreakable". The woman had a rebellious personality and to live her life, she had to come to terms with that (had to learn how to live with it).
Wu Ting