Wu Ting
How would you interpret the first two sentences of the second passage? How would you interpret the first two sentences of the second passage? 1 My mother was originally a bigger person than my father. 2 There was in her a sound rebellion which she had to come to terms with in order to live her life. I think the word ‘big’ in the first sentence means ‘boastful’ or ‘ambitious’, right? And the word ‘rebellion’ in the next sentence means rebellion against the reality. In other words, his mother wasn’t contented with the living situation she was in. And the phrase ‘come to terms with’ in the same sentence means she had to come to terms with the reality, i.e. she had to accept the uncomfortable reality. What do you think?Thanks. And it’s from My Little Boy written by the famous Danish writer Carl Ewald. the context: Between my mother and me there was enmity---instinctive, uncompromising enmity---which both confused and pained me as child. As I gained consciousness I learned to understand both the enmity and her. My mother was originally a bigger person than my father. There was in her a sound rebellion which she had to come to terms with in order to live her life. From her would come glimpses of disgust and hatred of Father, who was less well endowed but stayed true to himself throughout. Daily she imposed revenge on her children; if they obeyed she despised them; if they rebelled she punished them.
You have it right for the nd passage and the first one could mean bigger in size but more likely means emotionally stronger/more mature/braver. Not boastful, though.
Wu Ting