If is there a british variant for what are you majoring in?I'm major in literature
Oct 30, 2017 8:41 PM
Answers · 6
The concept of 'majors' and 'minors' doesn't exist in UK universities. You just study what you study. What do you study/what are you studying? I study literature. *I'm a major in literature (the article is required.) Or 'I major in literature.'
October 30, 2017
British degree courses tend to be shorter and more specialised than those in other countries. As Paul says, you would ask "What are you studying?", "What is your degree?" or "What degree are you doing". Usually the response would be "I am doing a degree in literature" (in your case) Some British universities offer joint honours degrees, where you do study more than one subject. In that case, a degree in Literature and History means you are studying both subjects equally, while a degree in Literature with History means you are studying literature as a major with history as a minor.
October 31, 2017
I agree. We don't have an equivalent term because there is no equivalent concept in the British higher education system. As Paul says, you just study what you study. In the past, we'd use the verb 'read' for the subject of a person's degree. ( e.g. "My grandfather read classics at St Andrews") That's outdated now, so we'd just say, "What's your degree?", "What are you studying?" or even, more informally, "What are you doing at uni?".
October 30, 2017
We don't have major/minors in thr UK. We woukd say 'What are you studying?' or 'What is your degree?'
October 30, 2017
Hi I am new hère van you help me please ? ? ? ?
October 30, 2017
Show More
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian
Learning Language
English, French