jou746
Is is okay to use the word 'my guy', 'my girl' between friends? 'Let me introduce my guy here.' 'My girl, Jessica, is from the states.' Is is okay to use the word 'my guy', 'my girl' between just friends? First of all, I'm a man and using the word 'my guy' sounds like gay (no offence) and using the word my girl between friends relationship sounds like lover. For me, english beginner, I can't understand well nuance of the words.
It can go either way! Normally, it's meant to be romantic, but it doesn't have to be. It's all based on the tone and the context. For example, "bromances" are quite common, and men tend to use romantic language to express how close they are as friends (in a partly-joking way). It can also be used in a work environment if you completely trust someone to complete a task. It can even be used to flirt - not letting someone know whether you mean it in a friendly or romantic way, but leaving it a little bit mysterious. In general, if you use "my guy" or "my girl," you are expressing either some strong feelings or a lot of trust. In some cases, people might be slightly offended if you're being completely serious and romantic (because it sounds as if you're saying you own the other person), so I would recommend using it in a more joking way.
I would stay away from this. In some very casual settings people may use the terms "my guy" / "my gal," but it's not a usual thing to say even about lovers. It will sound strange or cause confusion. Instead say, "Let me introduce you to my good friend..." Or if it is a very close friend, "my buddy."
jou746