Kay
how to understand "Night after night have I sung of him, though I knew him not" Night after night have I sung of him, though I knew him not. there are some parts i can't understand in the sentence. 1. have I sung of him vs I have sung of him. why is "have I done " in the sentence? 2. sung of him vs sung for him what's the difference between those? 3. I knew him not vs I didn't know him. what's the difference between those? Thanks in advance.
Hi Kay! It sounds like you are reading a very poetic piece of writing. In this case, the author might not mean that she is literally singing about a man, but that she is thinking about him. The author indicates that the man is not there, which means she cannot sing for him, she can only sing about him. I knew him not is a poetic way of saying I didn't know him. In regular everyday speech we would always say "I didn't know him."
這是英文詩句語, 与平常語法不同, 例如, "今天天气冷而風也大" --> 今天寒冷風多多
Kay
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Other), English, Japanese