GKL43408
What is the difference between 2억명이 and 2억? I have been learning Korean and started learning numbers. I got confused because I wanted to write "200 million" in Korean, but when I put it into Google Translate and other sources, I didn't know if 2억명 was 200 million or 2억 or both.
Don't trust Google Translate regarding to Korean. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_count_word In English, one must say, "two sheets of paper" rather than "two papers". In Korean, the term jang (장/張) is used to count sheets, or paper-like material in general. So "ten bus tickets" would be beoseu pyo yeol jang (버스 표 열 장 / 버스 票 열 張), literally, "bus ticket ten 'sheets'". In fact, the meanings of counter words are frequently extended in metaphorical or other image-based ways. For instance, in addition to counting simply sheets of paper, jang in Korean can be used to refer to any number of thin, paper-like objects. Leaves (namunnip 나뭇잎) are counted using this count word. In this way, a particular count word may be used generally in a very open-ended manner and up to the construal or creativity of the speaker. As you know, 2억 means "200 million". 명 is count word of people 마리 is count word of animal There are 200 million people 사람 2억 명이 있다. There are 200 million cats. 고양이 2억 마리가 있다.
Basically, it is same. However 2억명 is only used when you refer to individuals. “명” is used at the end of the number and meaning individuals. 2억 is neutral word. So, in this case, you should use “2억명”
GKL43408
Korean