Mikkel
Speck=a rotten spot in fruit? - for native English speakers Oxford dictionaries writes that a speck can mean “a rotten spot in fruit”. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/speck Perhaps they just mean a discolouration, but when I read “rotten” I think of something other than a mere discolouration. Is this “a rotten spot in fruit” meaning something you have ever encountered? Thanks for your help!
Nov 7, 2017 10:13 AM
My guess is that secondary definition of "speck" is semi-technical, used in agriculture and manufacturing. It's not familiar to me.
Speck just means a small piece or dot. "There is only a small speck of mold on the apple, so I think it's safe to eat." "I'm still finding specks of dirt on my coat after that weekend in the country." "Living with teenage boys means there's never a speck of food in the house."
Mikkel
Chinese (Mandarin), Danish, English, German, Swedish
English, Swedish