Lawrence
Community Tutor
"all right" or "alright" ? Which one is correct? 1. Are you all right? 2. Are you alright?
Nov 13, 2017 12:00 AM
Because James was so sure of his answer, I had to look this up. And he is correct! 'Alright' is a simplified informal version of 'all right'. You should use "all right" to be grammatically correct, although you will see 'alright' used a lot. The other important thing to note is that they can have different meanings. At least the way I generally use them. My friend's answers were all right. <-- Each one of his answers was correct. My friend's answers were alright <-- His answers were so-so (not the best).
all right is correct, alright is incorrect, per the instruction I received many years ago. But you will see "alright", just as you will see ain't and other errors. I disagree with previous reply. Any singular or plural noun involved is irrelevant; "all right" is always correct.
If you are speaking, they sound the same. When written, the term "all right" would suggest multiple people. (Are all of you right/correct?) When spoken, the word "alright" suggests a singular person, asking if they are okay. (Are you alright/okay, my friend?)
The correct words are "all right" and "already."
Lawrence