Laura
What means 'keep me in order'? why it is for an independent woman? 'we wouldn’t be happy together, Mr Oak. I’m too independent, I need a husband who can keep me in order, and I’m sure you wouldn’t be able to do that.’ Gabriel looked hopelessly away and did not reply. ‘and, Mr Oak,’ she continued in a clear voice, ‘ I’m so poor that my aunt has to provide a home for me. You’re just starting your farming business. It would be much more sensible for your to marry a woman with money. Then you could buy more sheep and improve your farm.’ What means 'keep me in order'? Why an independent woman needs a husband who can keep her in order? Thanks!
I think that she needed him to be more interested, attentive and mindful with her, to remind her if she wasn't acting properly..
"keep me in order" = 是管束, 限制, 制服. 她是太独立, 沒有老公可以 制服她. 是个借口拒绝婚姻
yes it does sound a little weird. but this woman wants someone to tell her when she is wrong, or if she is being crazy. or to give her advice. not controlling just guiding. she can still be independent and take advice
Laura
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish