Lily Rose
Community Tutor
Is it correct to use "in the air" in this sentence? The example sentence: -Are you going on a visit to New Zealand next Saturday? -I haven't decided yet. It is still in the air. I looked up the phrase in the dictionary. The definition is If something is in the air, you feel that it is happening or about to happen, Does the definition make sense in the example sentence? Or do you have any other definitions? : )
The phrase “in the air” does not work well as an answer to the example question you provided. You are able to say instead: “I haven't decided yet. That is still up in the air.” ← Notice that I chanced the words “it” to “that” as well as “in” to “up.” However, while you are able to say this, I would actually not recommend doing so. This is because the idiom is not as commonly said by native speakers as much as it used to be in the past. I would suggest saying instead: “I haven't decided yet. That is still something I need to think about.” “I haven't decided yet. That is still dependent on a few things.” “I haven't decided yet. That is still up for debate.” ← The debate is not referring to a disagreement, but an internal thought process. “I haven't decided yet. That could go either way.” ← I believe this is probably the best match for what you wanted to say. If you are looking for situations to use the phrase “in the air,” this phrase usually refers to a feeling or a mood. For example: “When she walked into the house, she could sense sadness in the air and knew something was wrong.” “There was a lot of excitement in the air as the team was getting ready to play.” Notice that “in the air” does not refer to a concrete decision, but more of an abstract feeling. I hope this helps. :) If you would like to practice speaking, please feel free to look at my teaching profile and class offerings. Kristin https://www.italki.com/kagcafe
"up in the air" means not sure or undecided. The plans are "up in the air"
谢谢!我明白了。 这道题原来是单选,可是连选项都是错的。。。。。
我想你找的是up in the air
Lily Rose
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese