Correct usage of verb explain? Another question... Are these examples correct? 1. I explained the game to my father. 2. I explaned my father the game. Thanks!
Nov 21, 2017 9:38 AM
In English, "explain" has only a direct object, and this must follow the verb. "I explained the game..." you can add the listener after this, with the preposition "to". Some verbs can use a [verb]+[indirect object]+[direct object] pattern (such as tell, give, write, buy, cook...) but "explain" doesn't fit this pattern. It's really a case of learning the structure for each verb.
Are these examples correct? 1. I explained the game to my father. (Correct) Direct Object + Indirect Object 2. I explaned my father the game.(Incorrect) Indirect Object cannot precede Direct Object (Although there are always exceptions to the rule.) I hope it helps!