bnpl
Phrasal Verb 'Look Forward to' I know that the phrasal verb 'look forward to' should be followed by either a noun phrase or a gerund. But I'm not sure if the sentence 'I'm looking forward to more families benefiting greatly from this measure.' is correct. Will anybody please help?
"I'm looking forward to more families benefiting greatly from this measure." I don't see any issue with the sentence. It means "I'm looking forward to an outcome whee more families benefit greatly from this measure." "more families benefiting ..." is a gerund-based noun phrase describing a situation or outcome, so it can be used as a subject, object, or a complement of a sentence, or an object of a preposition as in this example. Gerund phrases come in two kinds, with or without a subject. When it has a subject, it can be nearly as versatile as a general noun clause, as we see in this example. Other similar gerund phrase examples: (with no subject of its own - it defaults to the subject of the enclosing clause) - I love swimming (a gerund used as an object of a verb) - I love going fishing on the weekend. (with its own subject) - Your [or You] standing there doesn't bother me at all = Even if you stand there, it doesn't bother me at all. - It was a time of everyone fighting everyone else = It was a time when everyone fought everyone else.
It is grammatically correct but sounds a little odd to me, I would just say "I'm looking forward to more families benefiting from this measure" and leave out the greatly. I don't know why exactly, it just sounds more natural in this case.
bnpl
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English